Friday 10 December 2010

A Tad Of Bad Luck!!

Here in the 'Ella-Rose Miniatures' household we have had a run of bad luck this year, a lot of big things breaking down on us & we've had to replace, the boiler, the car, the bath, the toilet, etc, etc. I could go on & on...Last weekend was no exception, hearing a loud bang/popping noise, I went to investigate only to find that my computer had 'popped it's clogs'!! Gutting!! A very, very nice man came along to have a look at it to see if it could be revived, but sadly no! The powerpack had blown & 'frazzled' the motherboard AND hard drive, nothing could be retrieved, everything that was on the hard drive is now lost forever. 6 years of miniatures photos, gone. 6 years of Christmas, Birthday, days out photos, all gone!! Until I can afford a new computer I am borrowing an old one of my parents & it's taken a little bit of getting used to, but I will get there. Everything that was on my favourites list has been lost & I have spent the best part of two days trying to build up my favourites list again, just hard to remember everything that was on there. I have now learnt my lesson, I should always ALWAYS have a back-up copy of my photos. Thankfully my accounts were up to date, printed off & safely tucked away in a binder. But I am gutted about the photos. Anyway, I will be glad to see the back of this year I think & will look forward to 2011 with optimisism & hope!! Will be back before Christmas with pics of the latest minis I've been making.
Have a fantastic weekend!! Hugs, Kerry .x.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Kerry, I had the same problem when the battery pack blew up on my laptop. It fried my Mother board. One of my Son's friends, who is a complete Computer Geek, managed to retrieve 90% of my photographs and documents, when I had been told by a shop, there was nothing to retrieve. I'd double check just in case..xxx

Kerry said...

Hi Debbie, thank you for the advice, it really is appreciated. I had my brother-in-law have a look at it all, as he, too is a computer geek, he works in I.T. & builds computers from scratch, he tried his very best, but couldn't retrieve any of it. I've got a lot of photos saved in my two 'Facebook' accounts, so all is not lost & it has taught me a valuable lesson in computers, always have back-ups. I hope you are feeling better & looking forward to Christmas. XXX

LaBelleCuisine Miniaturas / ShabbyParis Dolls said...

Kerry!!! What a terrible situation! I have 2 backups: I saved all my miniatures to a CD and a external disk! I don´t want to loose everything...computers are the worst miniaturist friend!!!!
Good luck...
Marina

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Oh, Kerry, I feel for you! We just got hit with a $500 bill for the pool sweep pump that went otu and we need to replace a leaky window and well you KNOW!

We have an external drive that I use to back up my computer especially b/c it has all my work on it but then of course one has to be diligent to use it which I will do so this morning!'

xxoo
M

linsminis said...

Oh Kerry....that's just awful! I use a flash drive & religiously send my photos to that...a bit late now but maybe in the future! As the song goes "things can only get better"! Mini hugs, Linda

Kerry said...

Thank you Marina, Marsha & Linda, hopefully I've learnt my lesson now & will always be making back-ups from now on. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else breaks down before the end of this year!! And hoping that I have a change of fortune/ luck for 2011!!
Kerry.x.